5 Reasons Why You Should Hire a Divorce Attorney
1. Protect your rights. Many people believe that they can represent themselves instead of hiring an experienced attorney to save money. Representing yourself in any divorce or family law matter is simply not a wise decision because there are simply too many complexities involved. Although you may be saving yourself money in the short-term by not hiring a lawyer, the odds of losing money are immanent in the long-run.
2. Informed decisions. When hiring a divorce attorney you are hiring an attorney who hopefully specializes in this field. Your attorney will be able to provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision. You do not want to be entering into agreements regarding your children and your finances without being properly advised. If you represent yourself, it is simply impossible for a lay person to know the matrimonial and family laws of their State.
3. Mistakes can be avoided. When resolving your divorce, a comprehensive agreement is prepared by the divorce attorney. Without having knowledge of what is supposed to be contained in your agreement, you may be either making crucial mistakes or failing to protect certain rights you have. Once you sign an agreement, there is no rewind button.
4. Smooth progression. When you represent yourself in Court, there is a strong chance that your matter will not go as smoothly before a Judge as you would have anticipated. There are many intricacies involved in matrimonial law that only lawyers are aware of. You will be held to the same level of knowledge as an actual lawyer before a Judge. There are also procedures involved in all divorces and family law cases that only lawyers are experienced in.
5. Divorces are personal. When going through a divorce, your entire life is before the Court. You do not want to be the one arguing your case, as your personal views may interfere with your ability to resolve your matter. A divorce attorney can take a step back and analyze the situation, and provide you with the proper advice so that your own personal opinions do not complicate the matter even further.