Call or Text For Free Consultation




Relocation Rights

After divorce or legal separation, you or your ex-spouse might want to relocate with your child to another city or state. However, relocation must be handled properly and addressed by the court — and your child’s best interest is always a priority.

Although parents have the right to live anywhere they desire, a divorced or separated parent must get the court’s approval to move their child out of state. There are many details to consider in a relocation case, including whether the move will affect the child’s access to the non-custodial parent. While some cases can be resolved easily, some ex-couples can’t come to an agreement on their own. This also causes issues. For example, if the non-custodial parent is opposed to the move, the custodial parent will have to decide whether they will move without the child and give up custody, or seek relocation from the Court.

At the Law Offices of Ian S. Mednick, we understand the complexities of relocation cases. We also understand that every relocation case is unique, and we encourage you discuss the details with Mr. Mednick, an experienced lawyer who cares about your case. For example, you might want to move to another state due to economic hardship. Or, you might want to move to a new city in order to provide a safer and more suitable environment for your child and your child’s needs. Regardless of your reason, contacting an experienced attorney willing to listen to your case is a crucial place to start.

Long Island child and parental relocation attorney Ian S. Mednick represents family law clients involved in relocation issues, including clients for and against relocation. With years of experience in family law, he personally handles requests for relocations and also specializes in defending against moves.

When it comes to relocation after divorce or a separation, planning is everything. Let the Law Offices of Ian. S. Mednick help you find a solution with your child’s best interest in mind while achieving personal goals that led you to want to move in the first place.

Contact a family law attorney at the Law Offices of Ian S. Mednick to schedule a free consultation. 631-780-7080