Call or Text For Free Consultation




Making the Move: Dealing with Relocation and Holiday Disputes

The Law Offices of Ian S. Mednick, P.C. > child custody  > Making the Move: Dealing with Relocation and Holiday Disputes

Making the Move: Dealing with Relocation and Holiday Disputes

Relocation and Holiday - Family Photo

Following your divorce, you or your ex-spouse may choose to relocate to a different state or country. Although no state or federal law limits you from moving to a new location, it becomes an issue when there is a child involved.

It may even intensify the conflict between you and your ex-spouse, especially if you have joint custody over your child. At some point, your ex-spouse might even oppose your move so you will give up custody of your child. If you have your child’s best interests and welfare in mind, here are ways you can deal with and settle relocation or holiday disputes amicably with your ex-spouse.


It’s understandable if you no longer wish to talk to your ex-spouse, but since you have a custody agreement, you have an obligation to follow every single part of it. If you want to take your child on an out-of-town or out-of-the-country vacation, the best way to avoid disputes or even a child abduction case filed against you is to get the consent of your ex-spouse.

Bear in mind that he or she is still the parent of your child and has the right to make decisions regarding your child’s well-being. Before arranging a holiday with your child, whether you’re the custodial parent or not, get consent from the other party and obtain that consent in writing.


Relocating can be an opportunity to heal following a separation. But if you are contemplating on moving locations, make sure that you’re not making this decision just for yourself. This is especially true if you are the custodial parent. Moving can have a negative impact on your child’s well-being, and often, it leads to poor emotional health and potentially other adverse outcomes.

If you take your child and relocate to a different state or country without the consent of your ex-spouse, he or she can bring the child back. It will further add to the conflict between you and worse, damage your relationship with your child.  Instead of rushing to relocate, think about what is in the best interests of your child. If you still believe relocating is the answer, speak to an attorney, and do it the right way by attaining permission from the Court.